Freedom of Information (FOI)
The purpose of the Freedom of Information Act 1991 (FOI Act) is to promote openness and accountability within the South Australian Government and to facilitate public participation in government decision making.
About Freedom of Information
The FOI Act gives members of the public a legally enforceable right to access documents, subject to certain restrictions, held by South Australian Government agencies, local government authorities, statutory and regulatory bodies and South Australian universities. The FOI Act also gives you the right to apply to have your personal records amended if the information is incomplete, incorrect, and out of date or misleading.
Making an FOI application
In accordance with the FOI Act, applications must:
- be made in writing (you may choose to write a cover letter or use the application form which can be downloaded from the State Records website)
- apply online at the following address www.sa.gov.au/foi.
In making an application, ensure you:
- specify that the application is made under the FOI Act
- include your name and address in Australia to which information can be sent
- be accompanied by the $38.25 application fee (exemptions apply for Members of Parliament and pensioners or health care card holders) (if submitting online, payment to be made with a credit card)
- clearly identify the documents being sought or the mater to which they pertain
- specify if the documents contain your personal information
- request the form of access you are seeking, for example specific if you require a copy of the documents or you wish to inspect the documents.
For more information or assistance with making an application please telephone (08) 8115 3903.
The following forms can be accessed from the State Records Website:
Applications can also be made via the online FOI request page.
State Records provides further information in relation to;
Application to review a determination under FOI
If you are refused access to all or part of a document that you requested access to, you will be informed of the reasons why and advised of your rights to seek a review or appeal.
You can also seek a review or appeal if you have applied for your personal records to be amended under FOI and amendment has been refused.
You can download the Application for Review of a FOI determination (decision) from the State Records website.
For more information
Phone: 08 8226 8699
Toll Free: 1800 182 150 (within South Australia)
South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (SACAT)
Phone: 1800 723 767
Send applications to:
Accredited Freedom of Information Officer
SA Fire and Emergency Services Commission
GPO Box 2706
ADELAIDE SA 5001
The Accredited FOI Officer can be reached on 08 8115 3903 Monday to Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm.