We are the South Australian Fire and Emergency Services Commission
Every year, thousands of emergency services workers and volunteers attend incidents throughout the State - putting out fires, rescuing people, conducting searches, freeing people from trapped cars, helping contain chemical spills, dealing with storm damage and much more. It is our job to ensure that volunteers and employees within the fire and emergency services sector are provided with the resources and support they need to carry out this vital work.
The South Australian fire and emergency service organisations SAFECOM works with are:
- South Australian Country Fire Service (CFS);
- South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS); and
- the South Australian State Emergency Service (SES).
We operate under the guidance of the SAFECOM Board, whose members include the Chief Officers of the CFS, MFS and SES and the Chief Executive, SAFECOM. SAFECOM operates under the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005.
SAFECOM plays a leadership role in:
- coordinating the implementation of recommendations from reports such as the Wangary Coronial Inquest, Review of the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005 and the Ministerial Review of Bushfire Management in South Australia
- developing new initiatives such as Volunteer Charters and the Volunteer and Employer Recognition and Support Program
- whole-of-government emergency management at a state and national level